I can’t say this enough!!!!
It took a back injury 4 years ago to make me finally listen and I hope you’re smarter than I was! I was training hard, lifting heavy, having rest days and eating healthy – sounds like a winning combo right? WRONG!
I used to rush out of classes 10 minutes early to shower and get to work on time or “stretch” for a couple of minutes after my workouts and all seemed well until I bent over to pick up a kettlebell and someone ripped out my spine! It definitely felt like that… OUCH!
Bending over to pick up that kettlebell was the straw that broke the camel’s back! I wasn’t stretching and my muscles were not happy. My lower back paid the price.
After a visit to an Osteopath, I was informed that my mid-back was VERY TIGHT - Neglecting important stretches had left my mid back muscles super tight, until that fateful day when I picked up the kettlebell and that tightness travelled all the way down to my lower back!
I was unable to work for close to 2 weeks! Moral of the story is STRETCHING IS IMPORTANT!
I learned my lesson and this was the main reason I got into Yoga which has helped loosen up muscles that had been tight for way too long, increased flexibility and has made a lot of other exercises more effective!
It took a couple of expensive sessions with the Osteopath and 1 month of bikram yoga to fix me. This doesn’t have to happen to you!
Your muscles need it, your body needs it -
- It reduces the risk of injury
- Helps increase flexibility which is an important part of overall fitness, and makes exercises more effective and easier on the body
- It eases lower back pain (which is very common)
- It helps relieve joint pain e.g. sore knees are usually caused by tight quads, calves or ITB (runners take note!)
- It reduces muscle soreness post-workout and speeds up recovery, less DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness).
- And it saves you money too… if that doesn’t convince you, I don’t know what will
Train hard, stretch, eat right, rest…. REPEAT. ☺☺