While promoting The Get Trimmer Challenge last week, I posted this picture on Instagram:
Not up to 10 minutes after posting it, I got one recipe request and a few questions on what was in it. So I thought, “Yay! A recipe blog post, my blog needs one!”. Lettuce wraps are a great way of totally eliminating bread (wraps) from a meal. This is a low carb and high protein meal and can be breakfast, lunch or dinner.
I was feeling creative and decided to do an InstaVideo of the recipe. Why did Instagram CRASH on me??? Thankfully, a copy of the video was saved on my phone and because I didn’t want to throw away my hard work, I uploaded it on YouTube:
Ha! It’s not the usual quality of my videos but it does the job, right?
500g Turkey Mince
400g chopped tomatoes (Better option – Fresh tomatoes, chopped)
Lettuce (I used romaine, but any should do)
1 Red Bell Pepper
1 Yellow Bell Pepper
1/2 Red Onion
1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil
Mixed Herbs and Spices
- Wash and chop up onions and peppers.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan (preferably a wok).
- Fry onions until they’re lightly browned.
- Add turkey mince, cook until the meat isn’t pink. keep turning in the pan to cook evenly. Season with (1/2 tsp) salt. This should take no more than 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and season with mixed herbs and spices, and two pinches of salt.
- Immediately add the peppers. Stir contents for 30 seconds, cover and leave to simmer for a minimum of ten minutes.
- Wash the romaine lettuce and remove the leaves (for the wraps). A tip here is too use the bigger (outer) leaves. I made 4 wraps, so I used 8 leaves.
- Add 2-3 heaped tablespoons of mince to each wrap and enjoy 🙂
Shout out to Daisy for the inspiration! I usually make my lettuce wraps with eggs, sliced meat (chicken, beef) or fish.