If you’re a regular reader of my blog, you’ll know I like quick recipes so I was so happy when I discovered Passata (thanks to my friend Busola). I always have a couple of bottles in my fridge! I use this when I don’t have the patience to blend tomatoes, onions and peppers, which is very often now.
Ingredients: Organic Tomatoes & Salt
My friend told me he looked through my recipes and wondered why I didn’t have any fish recipes – that’s going to change 🙂
This is a recipe from last year, the picture below was taken with my camera phone.
2 Whole Mackerel
1/2 a bottle of Passata (350g)
Half an onion
2 tablespoons of coconut oil
1 tablespoon of ground chilli
Seasoning: Herbs, spices and just a pinch of salt.
- Clean and soak the mackerel in a bowl of water. Add herbs, spices and salt to the fish and allow to soak for at least 20 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil to a pot and allow to heat up.
- Slice the onions and add to the oil, leave them to brown for a few minutes.
- Add the passata, season lightly and add the chilli. Cook for no more than 5 minutes (if you’re using fresh blended tomatoes, increase the time to at least 10-12 minutes)
- Add the fish, cover the pot and cook on high heat for 5 minutes.
- Reduce to low-medium heat and cook for 7-10 minutes.
- Canola or Sunflower Oil instead of Coconut Oil
- Any fish of your choice (but remember if you’re pregnant or breastfeeding, you should limit your intake of fish. speak to your doctor about this)
- If you’re using blended fresh tomatoes, onions and pepper, you’ll have to add a little more salt.
- I ate mine with steamed carrots because I had eaten more than enough that weekend 😉
To keep it healthy, eat with:
– sweet potatoes
– 2 thin slices of yam
– 1-2 serving spoons of fried (basmati, jasmine or brown) rice