So… my friend Keris (of Fitter London) got into making Bread with Ground Almond instead of flour (to cut the long story short, this is part of Paleo eating… I won’t go into it but for more info, check out the Fitter London Blog).
One day, I was REALLY hungry and couldn’t wait the 20 minutes for paleo bread to bake so I thought…
“If I add less ground almonds and some honey, surely I could make pancakes instead.”
It worked and I loved them… they were a little dry though. I thought back to when I was a teenager and my Mummy taught me how to make pancakes… one of the ingredients was MILK… so next time I made the pancakes, I added coconut milk and…. my recipe was born!
5 heaped tablespoons of ground almonds
4-5 tablespoons of coconut milk
1 teaspoon of honey
1. Break eggs into a bowl. Add the ground almonds and whisk till smooth (consistency should be very thick, like cake mix).
2. Add the coconut milk and mix (should be of a creamy consistency, a little thinner than cake mix)
3. Add the honey and mix
4. Add a teaspoon of oil (I used extra virgin olive oil) to a frying pan and allow to heat up (1 minute should do)
5. Add a serving spoon amount to the pan and move around in pan till it forms a circular shape. Allow to cook for about 2 minutes… keep checking with a spatula till it gets dark brown and is firm.
6. Flip the pancake and allow the other side to cook – takes roughly the same time.
7. Flip onto a plate and repeat steps 5-6 till mix is used up
- I used blueberries (I love them) and a little more honey (instead of maple syrup).
- @divafactor on twitter tried out my recipe and served it with raspberries, strawberries and blueberries
- CucinCeri has a recipe HERE. She served hers with: bananas, nuts and blueberries
- Whatever you like… just make sure it’s something healthy 😉
- CucinaCeri used ground flaxseed instead of ground almonds
- If you’re in Nigeria, I’ve been told about wheat meal.. I’m not 100% sure what it is yet but hope to try it it out soon.
- Another option is coconut flour.
If you try out this recipe, please email me a picture and I’ll post here 🙂