I initially intended to post a rice, stew and ‘dodo’ recipe but I didn’t have any meat or chicken in the fridge! I had to eat this with venison sausages, so the stew was out of the question. I improvised and made Jollof ‘Rice’ instead.
- 1/2 cauliflower
- 230g chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1/4 onion
- 1 tablespoon of chilli flakes
- Seasoning – mixed herbs, mixed spices and salt
- Wash the cauliflower and remove the leaves and stalk.
- Grate with a grater with large holes (this helps give it a better rice like texture).
- In a pan, heat the oil and add the sliced onions. Allow to brown for 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, bring heat to medium and cook for 5 minutes. (If you’re using blended fresh tomatoes & onions, cook for at least 10 minutes).
- Add seasoning and chilli. Stir. Cook for a further 5 minutes, until the water starts to dry out from the chopped tomatoes.
- Add the grated cauliflower and stir thoroughly with the chopped tomatoes.
- Stir fry on high heat for 5 minutes.
Try it and let me know what you think
PS If you’re in Lagos (Nigeria), I’ve been told cauliflower is sold in Spar and Shoprite. Do you buy cauliflower anywhere else? Please share