Happy Monday! Hope you had a great weekend. I spent most of my Sunday in bed or on the sofa – my typical LAZY Sunday!.
I first tried lemon & water when it was a part of my daily Weight Watchers meal plan. Oh Lord, OVER ten years ago. Where did the years go???
Anyway, back to what I’m talking about here – I had a glass of warm/hot water and lemon (or lime!) every morning before breakfast. I didn’t know what the reason behind it was but I felt if WW orders it, then I’m doing it.
It wasn’t until years later, that I bothered to listen to a friend (Keris) and also read more about it on the internet. I also learned that it helped curved my cravings for chewing gum (which I am sometimes addicted to). As someone who’s had a history of bloatedness and a sensitive tummy, this (and green tea) with the combination of a healthier, cleaner diet has made a huge difference to how my stomach feels.
Now that I’m more enlightened, I try to have it every day. Although it’s advised to use warm water, which on its own has a nice effect on the stomach, I usually use room temperature water and have it at least an hour before eating breakfast.
A few benefits of lemon & water include:
- It aids digestion and helps relieve the symptoms of indigestion and heartburn. This is because it is has similar characteristics to our digestive juives eg saliva and bile. I can vouch for this!
- It helps with efficiency of elimination from the bowels, to put it in a polite way No need for TMI but this is one of the results I can vouch for.
- It helps cleanse the liver by helping liquefy bile and controlling its flow. It also helps with liver function as the liver produces more enzymes from lemon/lime water than any other food (according to A.F. Beddoe, author of Biological Ionization as Applied to Human Nutrition)
- It helps balance pH as it’s highly alkaline. Yes, it contains citric acid but when processed by the body, it has an alkalising effect. A lot of foods we eat have acidic effects on the body including meats, fish and grains which most people consume a lot of. Read this page on acid/alkaline forming foods –> http://rense.com/1.mpicons/acidalka.htm
- It has anti-inflammatory properties: it dissolves uric acid, which is usually responsible for pain and inflammation in the body and joints.
It has a lot more benefits which can all be read about here: http://www.quantumbalancing.com/news/lemon%20water.htm
So what’s my personal challenge? To continue this every single day this year but I’m going to start with this month. I will try to post on Twitter, Instagram, here or even on Facebook. Sometimes I will have it with my green drink to kill two birds with one stone, like I did today.
Feel free to join me on this little challenge
Note: As lemon is acidic in nature (before being processed by the body), it’s been said that daily drinking of lemon & water could wear away teeth enamel. So it’s been advised to drink with a straw, which I’m going to try to do more often than not. It’s better to be safe than sorry!