Next time you buy prepared burgers from the supermarket, take a look at the ingredients. Expect to see some unnecessary, and unhealthy, ingredients e.g. breadcrumbs, oil, preservatives and more.
Here’s an example of one such burger from a popular UK supermarket:
Beef (82%), Caramelised Red Onion (12%) (Onion, Muscovado Sugar, Malt Vinegar, Sugar, Water, Cornflour, Rapeseed Oil, Salt, Black Pepper), Breadcrumb (Wheat Flour, Water, Yeast, Salt), Fresh Chive, Salt, Cracked Black Pepper, White Pepper, Preservative: Sodium Metabisulphite; Black Pepper. Meat Content 82%
My point is – it takes very little time to prepare your own burgers, with much less ingredients… ingredients that you are in control of.
I made some today with turkey, green and yellow peppers, anchovies (weird I know, but I wanted to try something different!) and seasoning. I should have added an onion but I forgot, I’ll include it in the recipe below.
There are two other recipes, which are my favourites – I’ll make sure I blog about them in the near future. One of them has plantain in it, yep!!
1 kg turkey mince
1 green pepper, chopped
1 yellow pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
Seasoning (mixed spice, salt and thyme)
1. Rinse and chop up the peppers and onions.
2. Add the mince and anchovies to a bowl, add the vegetables and seasoning.
Note: Anchovies are very salty so be very careful when adding salt. I added just a teaspoon.
3. Preheat the oven to 220C. Mix all the ingredients and make small burger patties.
4. Put the burgers in the pre-heated oven.
5. After 20 minutes, flip the burgers to evenly cook both sides.
6. After 15 minutes, they’re ready! Take them out of the oven and allow to cool down for 5 minutes.
7. Serve 🙂 I served my with steamed vegetables lightly stirred in tomato puree and suya pepper.
Number of Servings: 3 – 5